Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:43:12 -0700
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: boot manager other than booteasy

And Siegbert Baude spoke:
> Zhihui Zhang wrote:
> >
> > I have installed Linux on my laptop and am using LILO as the boot manager.
> > Compared to booteasy, LILO can not remember the last OS I booted from and
> > boot from that OS automatically next time powerup.  But booteasy can not
> > recognize Linux in a DOS extended partition.  Is there any FREE boot
> > manager that can boot Linux in a DOS extended partition and yet can
> > remember the last OS it booted from?
>
> www.xosl.org
>
> Will need lilo also somewhere to boot linux (and the BeOS bootman for
> BeOS). If for example you have your Linux root in /dev/hda5 then tweak
> your lilo.conf to point to /dev/hda5 instead of the default /dev/hda. Of
> course you donīt have to configure lilo for all your other OSs then, but
> only for Linux. xosl will do the others (including FreeBSD).
>
> xosl does also work around the 1024 cylinder boundary FreeBSD had before
> 4.1
>
> xosl is really fine, but either needs a small partition of its own (like
> the OS/2 equivalent) or some FAT-partition to be installed on.
>
> Ciao
> Siegbert

That looks very slick and all, but I recommend grub, now in the ports
collection (sysutils/grub).  It will boot virtually anything and can be used
interactively on its own command line.  It also does not need Lilo to boot
into Linux.

However, I don't know if it will remember the last OS booted
from and boot from it.  The way I have it set up is that it boots the first
one listed in the configuration file.  It will give you a menu to choose
from, but by default it will pick the one first on the list after a timeout
also specified in the configuration file.

Joseph