Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 14:27:54 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c

Jamie Bowden said on May 21, 2002 at 05:21:10:

> :Terry Lambert said on May 21, 2002 at 02:16:28:
> :> > I don't think there's room for confusion: if I say (in whatever
> :> > language) "I'm sending you an email" it is clear what I mean.
> :>
> :> You are sending us a material used to glaze ceramics?
> :
> :Fewer and better one-liners, please...
>
> How about we just nitpick your grammar instead?  you wouldn't say "I'm
> sending you an mail,"

An obvious objection being that "mail" begins with a consonant.  That
apart,

> and it's just as inappropriate a usage with
> reference to electronic mail.

What would you say?  "I'm sending you a letter by email"?  Give me a
break.  "Email" (unlike "mail") is accepted as a noun for a single
item being transmitted.  Even Merriam-Webster agrees with that, though
it doesn't agree with the spelling:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=E-mail

- Rahul