Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:55:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        phs <phs@prohealthcaresearch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Internet Consulting in CA

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, phs wrote:
> Hello, my name is Nicolas Gonzalez and I am the network administrator for a
> small executive recruitment company called Professional Healthcare Search
> and Consultants, Inc. My company is interested in starting up a small ISP in
> Southern California. We've been doing some research and have narrowed down
> our OS decision to FreeBSD. We would like some information as to what type
> of software and hardware my company needs to set up an ISP that will support
> about 500 users. Any other information that

Between the standard software included with the OS such as sendmail,
bind, ftp, and software available in ports such as radius and apache,
all the software you need is "included".

I recommend picking up the latest versions of each from their source
but that isn't strictly required, just a good idea.

Hardware wise you should plan on starting out with two servers that
can back each other up.  I'd put all service other than http on one
and apache plus a database (mysql) on the web server. P2 300 with
128M RAM is almost a "starter system" today and should have no trouble
at all supporting 500 active users.  Install and configure all the software
on both servers but only start the appropriate demons on each one.
This way, should one fail you can bring those services up on its
backup.

For dialup, get a loaded PM3 (48 dialup ports).  It's a tough call
whether or not 48 ports are enough for 500 users, depends on their
usage patterns.  It is a reasonable starting point though.

Then you'll need a CSU/DSU and router which your upstream will probably
specify and possibly supply.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com