Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:17:40 -0400
From:      "Joseph Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>, "Brian Szymanski" <brian.szymanski@cornell.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: EIDE Drive Errors - Please Help!

In my experience, the IBM drives with 15gb platters have had quality control
problems.  I would recommend against buying that generation if you can help
it.

Of 8 30gb IBM drives about 80% have failed.
Of 2 75gb IBM drives, 100% have failed.
(This is not a very big test set, I know)

Never a complete failure...just an ever growing number of bad
sectors...which as far as I can tell, IDE drives are not good at remapping.
I don't know the interworkings of hard drives, so my statement there might
be completely wrong.

You can dump from one drive onto the other in one step.

Something like:

cd /mnt/new
dump -au -0 -f - /dev/ad4s1a | restore -rf -

Note: restore needs a /tmp directory that it can write some of its inode
lists or something to.  Make sure whatever contains /tmp is mounted R/W.