Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 18:41:03 -0400
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys wireless access point

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:36:28PM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>
> > i've tried both setting it to the same as the one used by the linksys (it
> > defaults to 'linksys') and leaving it set to 'ANY', so it will go to any
> > network it can find.
>
>      I'm not sure "ANY" works, although it's supposed to (I think you
> may have to set it to the empty string, "", instead -- without the
> quotes).

well, the default setting you get when booting up is an empty string, which
from my experience has allowed me to connect to any network around i don't
know if you actually have to set it to an empty string by hand or not...

>      From the above, I believe you've tried this, but I just want to
> double-check (note the "-n"):
>
> 	wicontrol -i wi0 -n linksys
>
> Linksys does have a Lucent Orinoco/Wavelan-specific note mentioning that
> you must set the desired network name to match that used by the access
> point, and that a blank network name will not work (this is for the
> WAP11, but it probably also applies to the BEFW11S4).

yeah, i've already tried that.  good to see that we're both finding the same
FAQ's though ;-)

i'll try it again the next time i'm home...  (the access point is at my
parents house, right now i'm up at school).  anyway, thanks for all your help.

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would