Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Ralph Forsythe <rforsythe@centerone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP 4000M switch question

  I would stay away from HP switches.  I've heard some horror stories
about port lockups and the like that require the switch to be rebooted, or
the ports disconnected.  I've heard of an ISP that replaced all their HP
switches, after an engineer from Redback proved that the HP switches were
dying under heavy traffic, not the Redback SMS.  The Redback engineer in
question told me the ISP in question, basically gave the HP switches away.

  Although the 2924XL is not made anymore, Cisco is still supporting it,
and new software can be downloaded (even without a login) on the Cisco web
site.  New software is only available for the 8MB models though.  You want
to upgrade the software to fix the SNMP bug discovered earlier this year.

Tom