Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:29:13 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Matt <matt@successfulhosting.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPMI During Boot

Jack Vogel wrote:

>On 3/15/06, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
>

>>Working with intel (TM) motherboards using the Intel Gb chips,
>>and talking to the intel reps last year (for my previous employer) I was
>>led to believe that
>>these chips supported IPMI by giving the BMC a back door into the same
>>NIC that the
>>OS was using.
>>(using an I2c (SMB) interface)
>>On the machines I used, I am pretty sure the bios gave the same MAC
>>address to the BMC
>>side of things as the OS side of theings by default, and we had is set
>>up so that we used the
>>same IP address also.
>>

>well, i'm not positive about the MAC thing, but I am quite sure that on
>IBM xSeries systems you assigned a different IP address to the BMC,
>this was done in the BIOS. And, when I think about that, if it did have
>a seperate IP address then it musta had a seperate MAC too...
>
>Course, that was IBM hardware. I'll have to check up on this more
>at work tomorrow.
>
>So Julian, are you saying that you have seen this kind of functionality
>work on FreeBSD??

yes, though as I said, I'd have to break  intop my old emplyer's
custommer's premmisses to
absolutly confirm that they has teh same MAC address..  :-)

It's my memory though that they did.. they definitly has the same IP
address.
and yes, it did work.

the OS got a copy of incoming packets for the BMC but a firewall rule
fixed that quick enough.