Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 04:03:58 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS server problems on 3.4-S, any interest?

On May 22,  1:32pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
} :>From the workstation:
} :Name  Mtu   Network   Ipkts      Ierrs    Opkts    Oerrs Coll  Drop
} :fxp0  1500  <Link#1>  32102492     0      31653667   0   30900   0

30900 collisions is a pretty good clue that fxp0 is not in full-duplex
mode.  In full-duplex mode both NICs are allowed to transmit at the
same time and the collision sensing circuitry is supposed to be turned
off.

I would expect to se Oerrs in this case, though.  This card should
be seing most of the collisions after 1 slot time, which it should
sense as late collions, and I *think* it should count these as Oerrs.

} :>From the fileserver:
} :Name  Mtu   Network   Ipkts      Ierrs    Opkts    Oerrs Coll   Drop
} :xl0   1500  <Link>    32504173    28967   32900227   0    0       0
} :
} :	I did find it a little unusual that I was getting collisions on a
} :crossover cable, but when I looked at the mail archives related to that
} :problem I read that the intel cards are very aggressive packet pushers,
} :and that this isn't all that unusual. The ratio of good packets to
} :collisions seemed healthy enough to not warrant too much concern.
}
}     28967 input errors on xl0?  Problem!

These are probably the frames where fxp0 sensed a late collsion and
aborted packet transmission, resulting in a CRC error.

}     But the real problem is that you are attempting to do 10BaseT
}     full-duplex.  Full-duplex operation with 10BaseT is problematic
}     at best.  Full duplex has good interoperability at 100BaseTX speeds,
}     but not at 10BaseT speeds.

10BaseT full-duplex should work ok as long as you configure everything
manually.  The only way it could work auto-magically would be if both
cards used Nway, which you'll only see on 10/100 or 100BaseTX cards
and if you've got two of those they'll negotiate 100 Mbit speeds :-)

}     Crossover cables work fine, usually, but I personally *never* use them.
}     I always throw a switch in between the machines and let it negotiate
}     the duplex mode with each machine independantly,

twice as many chances to get things wrong, too.

}     plus it gives me nice
}     shiny LEDs that tell me what the switch thinks the port is doing as
}     a sanity check.