Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 04:21:16 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Sergey <serge69@nym.alias.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

David Schwartz wrote:

>         Have you stopped to consider that users may just want to _use_ FreeBSD
> without having to follow the development? Have you considered that bad
> releases affect them? This is yet another piece of the 'Open Source' versus
> 'company supported' puzzle.

There is no real different between company supported and Open Source
in this respect. When people claimed, way back, that Microsoft were
releasing Beta-2 quality products as releases, they were just
stating facts.

Anyway, feel free to "just use". If you have a bug, though, upgrade
first, and only *then*, if the bug persists, complain. What's the
point of complaining about something fixed already? And if it is not
fixed, how are we supposed to tell the difference between it, and
something that *has* been fixed, if you are not using the latest
stable?

And don't come with the "company supported" stuff. Default procedure
for technical support of any software house is to first get the user
to apply fixes, and only then consider the possibility of new bug.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."