Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:28:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: local libraries and includes

On 10-Apr-00 David Johnson wrote:
> After having a bit of problems yesterday compiling some stuff, I came up
> with a general question. What is the best way to have the build tools
> look at /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include? I put some stuff in my
> .login, but there should be a better way. Is there a global file
> somewhere I'm overlooking? What's the Standard Operating Procedure?

To tell the compiler to search for includes in /usr/local/include (besides
the standard /usr/include), use the following in your compile command:

-I/usr/local/include

To tell the linker to search for libraries in /usr/local/lib (besides the
standard /usr/lib):

-L/usr/local/lib

You can add these to the CFLAGS variable in /etc/make.conf to have them
used automatically in a Makefile.

Just remember, you'll also need to specify any local libraries to link
against, using the -l switch.  For example, to tell the linker to use
libfoo.a in /usr/local/lib:

-L/usr/local/lib -lfoo (notice that both the leading "lib" and any
                        extensions are not used)

Hope this helps.

--
Conrad Sabatier