Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:54:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Linvill <mlinvill@cioe.com>
To:        "Eric A. Griff" <eric@cfpower.com>
Cc:        Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>, Martin <marrandy@tampabay.rr.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 queries

Greetings,

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Eric A. Griff wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>
>    Sorry to slightly advocate an M$ product, though IMHO, Access is quite
>useful for small to medium size applications..

Don't get me wrong here I do believe there is a place for Access.  But
I don't believe that a small ISP should start billing on it.  I've
personally written a couple of Access databases/interfaces.  It was an
interesting experience.

>    Though I have seen a NT Workstation (180Mhz PPro, 128M ram, Western
>Digital Cavier IDE drive (just one 4G)), O'Reilly Website Pro 2.x, and
>Allaire ColdFusion Application Server 4.0 Enterprise, serving 100 sites
>(pretty heavy load), running solely Access databases.. It runs good, and
>gives less problems than the Dell PowerEdge 2300 that was intended to
>replace it.

Egad!

>    At the same time, in an environment, where about 6 sites are completed a
>week at times, access contributed to that fast development (in combination
>with ColdFusin). I don't think ASP would come close to those results w/IIS..
>
>    The sites databases will soon be transported to MySQL, since we've
>managed to get ColdFusion to use the MySQL ODBC driver.. A little more
>progress on there end, and hopefully ODBC can be pulled out of the loop
>(after all these years, still bugs remaining).
>
>    Anyways, the #1 reason access was used, "Someone bought office". #2, it
>had an interface that made it easy to use. Similiar tools could be made to
>give the same kind of interface to the Free Source Unix Databases..
>
>    Anyways, I'm just delighted that now CF is stably connecting to
>MySQL(MyODBC), so in a short time, access will be gone, except as a
>development tool =)

Cool.

You might look into php [ http://www.php.net ].  I believe it to be
CF's open source competitor.  No pretty GUI for design but it has
functionality to do anything I wanted to do with database interfaces
in html.

BTW, I fully admit to my UNIX bigotry.  FreeBSD is my platform of
choice.

	-Mark