Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:22:21 -0400
From:      "Brian" <ircd@wrath.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Subject:   Re: IPs/VHOST/ALIAS/IDENTd/IRC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc: "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>; "Bob Martin"
<bob@buckhorn.net>; <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 9:16 AM

> From: alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
> Subject: Re: IPs/VHOST/ALIAS/IDENTd/IRC
> Date: Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:47:32AM -0400
>
> > well ... let's see
> >
> > uiu Connecting to port 6667 of server irc.lightning.net [refnum 0]
> > [lightning]  *** Looking up your hostname...
> > [lightning]  *** Found your hostname, cached
> > [lightning]  *** Checking Ident
> > [lightning]  *** Banned: Install Identd for access (2001/4/18 09.20)
> > uiu Closing Link: a1exus[alexus@255.255.255.255] (Banned)
> > uiu Connection closed from irc.lightning.net: Undefined error: 0
>
> See that a1exus[alexus@255.255.255.255] thing?  This is an address
> that uniquely identifies you as far as the IRC server is concerned.
>
> The parts of this address are nickname[ident@hostname.or.ip.address].
> Your nickname is a1exus.
> Your ident server works perfectly, replying 'alexus' when asked.
> Your host is oddly set to 255.255.255.255!

On kill it's quite common for the kill to show 255.* or 0.*.  Since I can't
get on the server to see what daemon is being run, I can only point you in
the right direction.  Do you have this problem on other networks?  Try
connecting to several servers on the network that produces your daemon.  Is
identd replying reasonably?

If you're using bahamut, you can subscribe to dalnet-src@ using
majordomo@dal.net or slagle's
questions.  you can get on DALnet and ask in #ircdev or in #bahamut (but you
might get shot at in the process)

IRCnet has a list also majordomo@irc.org.

I'm not involved in any of the other flavors out there.

In any event, it's probably true that this doesn't belong here.