Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:19:17 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Mark Gladman <mark@fantoma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Solaris.. the differences?

Mark Gladman wrote:

> Hey Peeps,
>
> I've got to start doing some Solaris stuff as a part of my classwork
> in a few weeks time, and was wondering if anyone knew of any good
> web-pages which show the differences (user-side) between Solaris and
> FreeBSD?

Don't know of any good webpages, but latest edition of the book "UNIX
System Adminstration" would be very useful in this regards. It covers
several UNIX systems, including Solaris and FreeBSD.

In a nutshell, Solaris is a classic SysV system, and FreeBSD is mostly
classic BSD. Any discussion of the differences between SysV and BSD will
be germane.

David