Date:      Fri, 15 May 2020 09:14:15 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Conflict on very first port (xorg) on rpi3

On 2020-May-15, at 08:19, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:33:10AM -0700, Mark Millard via =
freebsd-ports wrote:
>>=20
>> Some building and isntalling had to occur prior to the
>> textproc/py-sphinx18 build attempt, possibly from
>> prior session(s) of building and installing.
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
> In this case x11/xorg was the first port attempted in a new
> ports tree. The only "prior sessions" would have been within
> the dependencies of x11/xorg. Is that resolvable by poudriere?

poudriere builds packages. The pkg install for system use is a
separate operation. During a poudriere package build, the jail
involved only has the packages (internally!) installed that are
needed for the particular build. No build conflict with unneeded
ports (unneeded from the specific build's viewpoint). (That
presumes not doing something odd in configuring poudriere.)

poudriere does spend more time doing pkg installs and later
clean-outs in order to avoid having unnecessary stuff installed
during each package's build (that might conflict).

After the builds, using pkg install still can not install
two ports that have a conflicting "for run" requirements
status. poudriere just avoids the build-time conflicts with
ports not needed for the build.

poudriere can not solve building a port that indicates it
needs conflicting ports to run in order to build. It just
avoids conflicts from ports/packages that are not needed
for the build.

> In compiling poudriere I tried to use the qemu option, since
> this is on and for a non-x86 architecture. It failed, as arm64
> is apparently not supported. Is it required?

I use poudriere on: armv7, aarch64, 32-bit powerpc, powerpc64,
and amd64. I do have amd64 set up for also experimenting with
cross builds to aarch64 and armv7. (Targeting armv7 does not
work so well last I tried.)

The only context were I have qemu involved is amd64 --and only
because of the jails for cross-build experiments. Targeting
amd64 (self targeting) does not use qemu on amd64.

>> textproc/py-sphinx18 is new as of 2020-May-11.
>> The devel/llvm[16789]0 ports require textproc/py-sphinx18 .
>> Only about 26 ports require textproc/py-sphinx18 but
>> I'll not list the others.
>>=20
>> textproc/py-sphinx has been around longer and has
>> 142 ports that require it. I'll not list them.
>>=20
>>=20
>> textproc/py-sphinx18/Makefile lists:
>>=20
>> CONFLICTS_INSTALL=3D      py*-sphinx
>>=20
>> textproc/py-sphinx/Makefile lists:
>>=20
>> CONFLICTS_INSTALL=3D      py*-sphinx18
>>=20
>>=20
>> So, for example, indirectly the devel/llvm[16789]0
>> ports conflict with at least 142 other ports because
>> of the textproc/py-sphinx* difference in requirements.
>>=20
>>=20
>> The conflict is real and limits what combinations
>> of ports you may have installed at the same time.
>=20
> I'll try deinstalling the conflicting port and hope
> it won't be required later....

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com