Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 10:31:37 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Jordan and others have tried many times to get people to submit good,
> newbie-friendly "default GUI environments", with close to zero
> community response.  Yes, it would be a good idea, SOMEONE PLEASE DO
> THE WORK! :-)

Getting a "default" desktop added to sysinstall would be rather like
pulling teeth. After all, it already has an item to choose a default
desktop. And if you do a standard install (which I haven't done in a
while, so it may have changed), that question is posed to the installee.
Thus, that side of the suggestion is already handled.

The other side of it was to "tweak" the desktops for FreeBSD
specificity. That can easily be done without changing existing packages.
Just create new metapackages. As an example: kde-newbie. This would
install the basic kde metapackage, and then proceed to add icons for
FreeBSD documentation (and replace the silly Tux icons while it's at
it).

No need to twist anyone's arms. Just go create a package and submit it.
The package won't be installed by default, but it will be available in
the appropriate spots, like the kde meta-category.

David