Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 16:30:38 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        taob@nbc.netcom.ca (Brian Tao), freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating MP3's under FreeBSD...

> >     Hrm... is this why I consistently hear "hiccups" in certain
> probably yes, but i am no expert on this, i just repeat what i have
> read.
Well, it sounds like jitter to me :)

> > tracks?  cdd says it has jitter control, but it doesn't seem to help.
> > The problem spots always occur at the exact same spot in a track, and
> > appears to be tied to particular models of drives.  Skips heard from a
> this seems to be also my experience, i.e. multiple reads from a
> drive return the same data (including skips). i did not have the
> time to investigate the problem in more detail, so i have no idea on a
> possible fix.
It could be that its trying to read it too fast... Remeber that an audio CD
only has to play at single speed to sound fine, so CD ripping at >1X is harder
work..
Try slowing it down and see what happens.

> I have to say that this "sync" problem looks very odd, and i don't
> know if it is there voluntarily (e.g. to obstacle piracy) or it is
> just the result of some bug in the design of the audio CD format!
Well, I have had no problems ripping CD tracks with a Win95 program on a
computer with an 8X drive...
I don't have access to this machine anymore tho :(
Sometimes I would get problems grabbing a track, and I'd have to slow it down,
or increase the amount of oversampling which compensated for jitter. (I think
I found 2 tracks I couldn't rip out of about 10 cd's...)

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |