Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:23:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
To:        Lewis Kapell <lkapell@ncia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buying FreeBSD

I'll pitch my $.02 in here, but I am biased because I am one of the
mentioned manufacturers.

Both DN and FBSDMall do a lot for the community in different way, so its
hard to say that one supports the FBSD project better than the
other.  However, we are both committed to BSD in a very real way.  Both
have members of their companies on the FBSD core team, so you know that
they stay involved with what FBSD is doing as a project.  Both companies
work very hard at promoting BSD both online and in the retail channel.

So, really no matter who you choose, BSD wins.  With DN, the efforts get
spread over all BSD, since we don't focus on FBSD. With FBSDMall, they
also to slackware, so I am sure some of their funds go to help that, but
that is how it has always been. (CDRom.com always did slackware)

As for disk quality, we had a rough start.  Our 4.5 disks were outsourced
to a manufactured that we will never use again.  We have learned from that
experience and our 4.6 disks are exceptional if I do say so myself.  We
have also upgraded the packaging and put a lot of effort in to making them
worth buying.  The FBSD Mall folks have been doing this for years, so they
have a lot more experience than us, so their stuff will be the usual high
quality.

So, there aren't many reasons to buy one over the other and no matter
which you buy you support the community.  Both should be of the same high
quality and use the same CD masters from the official project.  The real
difference is in packaging and I really like ours. ;-)

Chris Coleman		Editor in Chief
Daemon News E-Zine	http://www.daemonnews.org
Print Magazine		http://magazine.daemonnews.org
BSD Mall		http://www.bsdmall.com