Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 19:55:56 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hmmm, OK, SMC driver is the de driver. Is it broke?

>Well, I punted and went to -current, and it seems to be just fine.  I
>think something is broke in -stable.  Dropping back to a kernel from
>around Mar 15th works fine as well, but 3/23 and 4/11 both fail miserably.
>
>A 4/11 Generic doesn't work either, but a -RELEASE one works.  So I don't
>think it's a hardware problem, I think it's broken code.

   Do you use NFS? Do you have it and all other filesystems that you use
specified in your kernel config file? The only significant change I can think
of that was made to -stable in that time period was a change to vnode.h to
change the size of some fields. If you have *any* LKMs that haven't been
rebuilt, this will cause the system to fail.

-DG

David Greenman