Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:42:57 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to

At 06:17 PM 9/28/99 -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>The only answer to SPAM is to make it financially un attractive.  If
>you cut the revenues created by SPAM you can have 10 static IP's not
>on the RBL and 10,000 open relays.  Though it would still be possible
>to SPAM they wouldn't bother as the ROI is negative...

Well, for 99% of all of the suckers who are duped into participating
into an MLM pyramid scheme, the ROI is negative, too. But this does
not keep foolish people from trying it. That's why Amway, Melaleuca,
Herbalife, etc. do so well.

We cannot rely on the intelligence of the spammer to motivate him
or her to stop spamming, as the fact that he or she is doing it in
the first place indicates a lack of judgment.

--Brett