Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 09:57:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Archive 2150S on ST-01

Hi,

I recently hooked up an Archive 2150S to a Seagate ST-01 to replace my
dead Wangtek.  (Yes, I know, these are really old pieces of hardware, but
they were free...) :)  It *seems* to work okay, except of course that I
can't get the darned thing to stream.

Why won't this command work?

	cat file.tar > /dev/rst0

file.tar would, in this instance, be my backup -- I put it in a tar file
first to try to get it to stream (this trick worked on my Wangtek.)  On
the Archive, however, the drive whirrs for a bit and then stops dead with
the light on, while my system freezes and outputs messages like the
following:

Dec  9 09:52:32 megaweapon /kernel: sea: blind block read timeout
Dec  9 09:52:32 megaweapon last message repeated 94 times
Dec  9 09:52:32 megaweapon /kernel: sea0/3/0 unexpected target disconnect
Dec  9 09:52:32 megaweapon /kernel: sea0/3/0 (st0) timed out
Dec  9 09:52:32 megaweapon /kernel: st0(sea0:3:0): UNIT ATTENTION
Dec  9 09:52:34 megaweapon /kernel: sea0/3/0 (st0) timed out
Dec  9 09:52:36 megaweapon /kernel: sea0/3/0 (st0) timed out

The way to recover is to manually eject the tape.  (that begins the
process starting with the unexpected target disconnect, after a few
minutes.)  Is this just not legal?

Also, I noted that someone else had a 2150S in the mailing list archives
and was playing with the buffer disconnect size.  Is this something I can
play with to perhaps make it stream correctly?

TIA.

  Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com> | Support the anti-spam amendment!
  http://www.zigg.com/         | Visit http://www.cauce.org/