Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:41:51 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, TOad Stool <t0ad775@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: ported software

On 4 Oct 00, at 13:44, TOad Stool wrote:

> I bought freeBSD for my personal computer. I am using
> the X11 Window Maker Desktop. And I will like to do
> the following: Kernell developing, gaming, surfing the
> net, you know standard stuff. But whenever I can
> afford LAN or DSL, I plan on making an internet server
> to sell web space.

> So can you tell me what is the best ported software
> for my needs?

Apache is an extremely popular webserver that runs quite well on
FreeBSD, even under big loads.  It's extensible, with support for
PHP3, Perl, Frontpage Extensions, and (I believe) SSL.  If you're
doing hosting, you may also be providing DNS to your clients.
BIND 4 and BIND 8 both ship with the FreeBSD CD's or can be
installed from ports (may even be part of the default install??).
FreeBSD's built-in ftpd can provide FTP services for your clients to
transfer changes to their pages.  While you're rebuilding your
kernel, add support for IP firewalling, and protect your box from
nasty people, since you'll be connected to the internet at all times.

Everything you need is in FreeBSD.  Hope this helps.  :-)

-charlie