Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:05:24 -0700
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login -f changing session getlogin(2)

--SRBcOaJalt7RM4DFJ9gNs34vBLSgandjL

On 10/1/2015 2:21 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <20151001203436.GA22737@stack.nl>, jilles@stack.nl writes:
>=20
>> I think the supposed use case for login -f is a remote login daemon th=
at
>> handles authentication by itself but wants to delegate account and
>> session functionality. Indeed, sshd has UseLogin, but it is rarely use=
>> and discouraged.
>=20
> Historically, as I remember it, "login" was a shell built-in that was
> effectively an alias for "exec login".  It may still be that way in
> antique csh.  The assumption from time immemorial is that if login
> exits, the parent process will not distinguish it from any other
> logout, so login is permitted to overwrite persistent session state.
>=20

Yes, if 'login' always exited the parent too then it would not be a probl=
em.

If we're making that assumption though then why do we so carefully
handle setting up the user context, uid and pam sessions in the child?

If 'login' should not be a user tool and we cannot fix this case then
perhaps it should move to /usr/libexec/login so it is not in the default
path where the user will be enticed to use it.

--=20
Regards,
Bryan Drewery