Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2018 09:11:34 -0700
From:      <deb@freebsdfoundation.org>
To:        "'Philip M. Gollucci'" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>, "'Josh Goldstein'" <josh.goldstein@protonmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Foundation CoC involvement

Hello Philip and Josh,

Sorry, for the delay in my response, and thank you for inquiring how we =
are spending our money. I need to keep this reply short, as I=E2=80=99m =
on my way to the airport to attend SCALE to promote FreeBSD and recruit =
more users and contributors to the Project. I will write up a more =
formal statement after I arrive in California.  This week has been =
tough, with two major conferences happening this week.

To answer Julien=E2=80=99s original question, no, the Foundation did not =
pay for the CoC. However,, as we=E2=80=99ve been publicizing in our =
monthly newsletters in 2016 and the FreeBSD quarterly status reports, we =
did support the new Code of Conduct efforts by paying for a few hours of =
time for an outside consultant to provide guidance and advice to the  =
CoC review committee made up of volunteers from within and outside the =
FreeBSD community. The funding comes out of our general funds, like =
other support we provide to the Project. The consultant did not write =
the CoC, only provided advice.

=20

To address Philip=E2=80=99s concern, we have always been public with our =
spending. Please check out our financial reports here:

 <https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/>; =
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/

When you look at our P&L, you can see that we do not break out every =
expense. For example, you won=E2=80=99t see how much we spent on =
individual events, like the Bay Area Vendor Summit, or how much we paid =
to sponsor AsiaBSDCon or BSDCon. Most of that is lumped into Project =
Spending expense accounts. Paying for a consultant to provide guidance =
into making sure the FreeBSD Project is inclusive, welcoming, and safe, =
is part of our charter of supporting the FreeBSD Project and community. =
I=E2=80=99ll also include here, that it was important to have that =
expertise on putting together the reporting process. I understand that =
there are people on this mailing list that are concerned about how we =
are spending their donations, and I believe there is a misunderstanding =
of how much we actually spent on this. To be clear, it was less than .1% =
of our budget. Over 60% off our budget goes directly to software =
development, with most of the rest going to release engineering and =
security team support, FreeBSD infrastructure, and FreeBSD advocacy and =
education. In fact, here is a list of the areas we supported in 2017, =
copied from my December blog post:

In 2017, your support helped us advance the Project through:=20

*	Increasing the software development projects we are managing and =
funding, by internal and external software developers, including the =
OpenZFS RAID-Z Expansion project, Broadcom Wi-Fi infrastructural =
improvements (bhnd(4) driver), increasing Intel server support, and =
extensive progress towards a fully copyfree toolchain.
*	Growing the number of FreeBSD contributors and users from our global =
FreeBSD outreach and advocacy efforts, including expanding into new =
regions like China, India, Africa, and Singapore.
*	Keeping FreeBSD secure and reliable by having staff members fill =
leadership roles on the Security and Release Engineering teams.
*	Starting up nascent internship/stipend programs by participating in =
the University of Waterloo Co-op program, where we are hiring interns =
for four-month periods to work directly on FreeBSD, and the University =
Politehnica Bucharest, where we are providing stipends to students doing =
research projects with FreeBSD.
*	Providing face-to-face opportunities such as developer and vendor =
summits and company visits to help facilitate collaboration between =
commercial users and FreeBSD developers,as well as helping to get =
changes pushed into the FreeBSD source tree, and creating a bigger and =
healthier ecosystem.
*	Utilizing a full-time staff member to ensure stability, reliability =
and high performance via ongoing maintenance and bug fixes.

=20

Most of you probably noticed that there is no mention of supporting the =
FreeBSD CoC. That=E2=80=99s because this work was done in 2016. As I =
mentioned earlier, the bulk of our funding goes directly to supporting =
the Project, and that includes the salaries of our limited staff. We =
also spend funding on a Human Resources consultant periodicity, an =
accountant, an office, computers, and other administrative areas that =
support our efforts.

As someone who has traveled around the world, meeting FreeBSD =
contributors who are new to the Project, and also many who have been =
with it for a long time, I=E2=80=99m always impressed with the passion =
and love for FreeBSD. I=E2=80=99m here to support our constituents, and =
listen to what you want us to support. We are not a trade association =
like some of the other open source foundations out there. Our sole =
purpose is to support the FreeBSD Project and community. Though, we =
don=E2=80=99t have enough funding to do the work we are currently doing, =
we will step in the fill needs of the Project.

Along with my staff, we are committed to supporting this Project. I =
stand by the support we provided to the community to craft a better =
Project CoC.  As most people know, I will respond over email. If you =
have specific concerns about the CoC, I=E2=80=99m open to listening. =
But, please be specific on what concerns you. However, since I was not =
part of the CoC effort, it would be best to send your concerns directly =
to the core team, who is working on a process for committers to provide =
their feedback on the current CoC.

=20

Sincerely,

=20