Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:33:55 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org>, Gareth de Vaux <ports@lordcow.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dns/bind916 builds rust unexpectedly

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:03:24 -0700
Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On 2023-09-25 11:38, Guido Falsi wrote:

> > Anyway, in this specific case, simply be ready to see rust being requested
> > as a
> > build dependency of more and more software.
> >
> > Not that I approve, or disapprove, for that matter, of it, but this is the
> > direction we're headed to.
>
> Couldn't one overcome this problem by using an antioxidant, or even a rust
> remover? ;-)
> Sorry. Couldn't resist.

The largest pain about rust for me is that all dependencies (including
BUILD_DEPEND'ed ones) are bumped when rust is updated.

It's maybe because of (forcibly) statically linked object, like crt.o
in C, is incorporated. If it's true, splitting them into individual port
would decrease the needs to bump dependencies, to only when the source
for those objects are modified and/or changes in such as code generator
makes the resulting objects backwward incompatible way.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>