Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:46:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ed Weinberg <edinct@detel.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bios disk manager

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Ed Weinberg wrote:

> I am going to install FREEBsd on a second IDE hd on a computer whose
> first hd is an EIDE.
>
> The computer has an older bios, so in order to "see" all the cylindars
> of the EIDE drive I need to use a disk mangler...oops...disk manager.
> The disk is partitioned into three virtual disks
>
> Will FreeBSD be able to see the entire DOS EIDE drive?

Should.  Your root partition must be below the 1024 cylinder mark, which
shouldn't be a problem if you are dedicating a whole disk to it.

> Where can I find documentation on how to install it on the second
> drive without wrecking the first?
>
> I already tried formatting the second drive and the first drive
> stopped booting.  re-writing the boot sector did not fix it.  I needed
> to re-install WIN95.

Odd.  That shouldn't have happened.  (What do you mean by 'formatted'?
For DOS?)

Just make sure you select the right disk, and DON'T install the Boot
Manager from sysinstall under any circumstances.  Use the OS-BS Beta
manager instead, which is available from where you got FreeBSD (ftp,
cdrom).  OS-BS can deal with Ontrack Disk Manager.