Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 2020 11:36:59 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        driesm.michiels@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current state of recent wireless cards

On 9 Jul 2020, at 11:24, driesm.michiels@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Dreis,

> I was wondering what the current state of the following wireless cards
> is:
>
> *	Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (T490 wifi card)
> *	Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (T14 wifi card)

I am currently working under FreeBSD Foundation Sponsorship to get us
full Intel HW support for all the new cards and up to 11ac wireless.

The first half is done ( see
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-wireless/2020-July/009233.html
) which is the PCI attachments work, the firmware loads and starts.  Now
there’s a dual-case to be finished: net80211 11ac infrastructure to
finish, which Adrian has started the last years, and we’ll see how
much of a Linux compat layer we’ll manage to have (which would also
help other drivers to be ported over more easily).  The hope is that
we’ll have full 11ac before the end of the year.

> But besides that and AX support for the future I don't see any extra
> value.

I cannot say anything about 11ax yet, but certainly once 11ac is done
that’s on the roadmap.

/bz

PS: I’d be careful with assuming that all the 9560s are supported;
depends on the chipset;  if it is, yes 11g still.