Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:29:48 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/71142; VESA 1024x768 @ the console

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:36:52 -0600
Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:42:47 -0600
> >Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I got tired of having to patch by hand all the systems I wanted this
> >>patch on and all the systems I patched but then updated with cvsup so I
> >>made a simple batch script to do it for me, this script will do steps
> >>1...9 (see below). all you have to do is paste it into a file and then
> >>run it as root (i.e. "sh vesa-patch-script"):
> >
> >Care to make it a port ? Or should I do it for you put you as maintainer
> >or me if you don't have the time to spare ?
> >
> Make what a port, you mean that hack I called a script? lol, I guess it
> could be, never made a port b4, but it would have to be redone as I'd
> never sign my name to it. It has no error control except for a cascading
> failure if the patch doesn't download or untar and it should include the
> patch to fix the mouse error. I think a better idea might be to redo it
> into a real script and post it to the PR?:
>
> Some pseudocode off the top of my head:

 [ ... ]

All of it is very easy to handle with our ports framework.

> (could just use pre-patched files and skip the patching part?)

It would be easier, I guess, and it would be easy to make the port die
if the src/ files have newer IDs that those in the patch ==> safe.

> cd into vidcontrol.
> cp new vidcontrol files.
> make the new vidcontrol program.
> do the mouse patch crap.
>
> I know only perl so it would have to be done in perl unless someone else
> wants to make it a real sh script.

Then I'll make a port sometime this week. bsd.port.mk has all that is
needed and I see no reason to depend on perl.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"