Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 00:29:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, jake@checker.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot single with new loader?

> :> Yes you can ... umount /usr ... umount /var ... etc
> :>
> :
> :If you copy tunefs to /usr or something, you can boot off the
> :install floppy, use the fixit floppy to get a shell,
> :and the run it on your unmounted root.  A picobsd disk
> :also works well.
> :
> :I've even got softupdates enabled on my vinum volume   :)
>
>     If you have a bootable FreeBSD CD (I forget which one it is),
>     try typing '-C' from the boot: prompt and see if it will boot the kernel
>     into the CD with nothing else mounted.  This gives you a *full* shell
>     from which you can play with your disk configuration.
>
> 						-Matt
>
>     Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
>                     Communications & God knows what else.
>     <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)

I have a modified version of tunefs which allows you to enable/disable
softupdates on root partition in single user mode. You don't even need
to reboot after you've run tunefs, you can simple exit the single user
shell, boot into multiuser mode and you root partition is softupdate
mounted. The patch is available at http://www.freebsd.org/~luoqi/ .

-lq