Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:58:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compat issue(s)

> > > Should I assume that this is the "what static ELF binary is this" problem?
> >
> > Exactly, the static ELF program is run as a FreeBSD native bin, there
> > is no way to know better (yet).
> > I guess we'll have to provide a solution for this shortcoming in
> > ELF (WHO said ELF was "the way to go" *sigh*)
> > I can do a "quick&dirty"(tm) little program that marks ELF bins so that
> > we can distinguish them, but it breaks the ELF std. one way or another.
>
> I don't think we want Q&D.  I certainly don't.
>
> Where can I snarf the ELF spec to look at?  This is going to get really
> annying _very_ soon 8(

You can pull down the SVR4_EABI specification from the ftp.linuxppc.org
site (the Linux PPC project).

There are more recent versions of the specification available from
Motorolla, who maintain the thing for everyone.  I can give you mail
autoresponder addresses, if necessary.

The ftp.uiunix.ui.org FTP server contents contained both ELF and DWARF
specifications.  They were part of the archive which I saved (along
with the TET and ETET changes needed to run NIST/PCTS, actually, and
the draft SPEC1170).

If they are still maintaining the archive, it should be available from
ftp.digibd.com (Digiboard).  I think they recently changed their name?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.