Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:54:52 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies

Studded wrote:

> David Wolfskill wrote:
>
> Someone else wrote:
> > >   I would agree with Sue in that the channel, as a help channel,
> > >wouldn't be too helpful - the blind leading the blind so to speak,
> > >unless some more experienced users could be persuaded to devote some
> > >of their time to staffing it.
> >
> > I agree with that point.
> >
> > As someone who is relatively new to FreeBSD (per se), but familiar with
> > UNIX, and whose job is administering UNIX (mostly FreeBSD) boxen, I
> > confess that it had never occurred to me that IRC might be used for
> > assistance.
>
>         Without going into too much detail re the rest of your post, I assure
> you that thousands of people find useful help on IRC every day. There
> are companies that actually provide first-line customer service over
> IRC, and there are hundreds of help channels staffed by volunteers that
> provide help as good as you can find anywhere. On any given night on
> just the 3 main IRC networks there are 80,000 connections and the
> numbers are growing consistently, as they have been for years. IRC is
> certainly not a fad. :)
>
> Doug
>
> --
> ***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
> *** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet
> ***    Relay Chat server with 5,328 simultaneous connections.
> *** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)

Well, what I dont love about it his than its not on one server.  I have a way to
do the centralisation.
1:Take channel #freebsd-newbies with a bot on every big IRC network.
2:Choice the main server where every one will be.
3:Put the topic on every server "That channel is centralised to irc.* (the name
of the server) /server irc.* #freebsd-newbies.

Like that, we will be on every network, but we will be indicating where is the
main chan.

Any comment and suggestion?

Malartre