Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:38:16 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> I initially ran a pirated copy of DOS on it (remember, at that time
> MS wasn't selling DOS retail) but shortly after I got it up I switched
> over to...drumroll
>
> Minix.

Ah, but anything even remotely similar to UNIX would have been superior
to MS-DOS, so that move would make perfect sense.  The situation is
different today.

At times that I've only had one computer, it has always been a MS-DOS
(in the olde days) or Windows computer.  I was tempted to try OS/2 once,
but OS/2 wasn't around long enough for me to change my mind, and it
wasn't free.  I recall using CP/M very briefly, long ago.

I like FreeBSD because it gives me something nice to run as a server.
Windows is too expensive and too bloated for server use.  My oldest
machine does indeed run Windows NT Server 4.0 (as a PDC, no less), but I
never actually used it in a server capacity--I was just trying to
foresee the unforeseeable.  By the time I actually needed a server of my
own, I had discovered FreeBSD.

--
Anthony