Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:28:21 +1100
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build -current and install to empty slice?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 01:40:43PM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> I'd like to try out -current, however I'm not willing to clobber by working
> 4.7 install.  How do build -current on 4.7p3 away from my RELENG_4_7
> source, then install to a seperate, pre-partitioned slice?

I haven't tried it, but perhaps you could cvs co/cvsup the -current tree to,
say, /usr/current, then use the DESTDIR knob to installworld/installkernel
to your target mount.  See jail(8) for more ideas, including how to
initialise /etc.  If it doesn't work, file a PR :)

> Is it ok to create the filesystems with 4.7p3's newfs?

I don't see why not. 5.0 will happily mount a UFS partition created
by 4.X.

Joshua