Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:08:41 +1100
From:      "Richard Green" <rgreen@rainbow.net.au>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@dsinw.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NEWBIE: Boot problems

Thanks for your reply... I tried using the dip switches to switch off the
1540CF BIOS, then I tried removing the card altogether, and still I get
'missing operating system'. Is it possible that my hardware config caused so
issue during the set-up stage?

I have worked out which device to specify  - 0:sd(0,a) when using the boot
floppy, and more importantly, how to spell kernal [sic] correctly ;) to tell
the system which is the kernel file.

Whatever cuaed the problem, now I can boot from floppy, the next stage is
how do I change the system so the disk boot sector is correct and will boot
easily without using a floppy... I'd imaging this would involve rewriting
the mbr in some manner.

I'm sure the mbr is being read from my SCSI disk upon boot, since with
different install attempts, i tried using the boot loader program (1st
attempt) and using the direct booting. Upon booting the 1st config I got the
boot loader messages, on the second, I simply get 'operating system
missing'.

Thanks & regards

Richard Green

Repeated info on my hardware config follows: