Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:25:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Simon Krenz <simon.krenz@mailbox.org>
To:        Steve Clement <steve@localhost.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - a lesson in poor defaults?

IMHO I can agree with most of the statements written down in this text. I c=
an not understand why I need ntpd or sendmail activated in default installa=
tions. If I want to setup a time server or a mail server with further abili=
ties I can install them later on. Most of the installations don't need such=
 features. I don't think that the majority of servers do need threaded AES-=
CTR or NONE ciphers also. For me a installation should be a minimum set of =
features and a secure one as well. For all further things I need to know wh=
at I want and can install them. This has nothing to do with:

>If you need hardening, you should always check and know your system.

because also if you don't need hardening you should always check and know y=
our system.

>I assume the virgin installed system will be ready to be remotely
>configured (e.g. sshd running, no firewall).

This will be as well with minimum sshd configuration and firewall activated=
.

>If we can assume that this About blob from the FreeBSD site is it=E2=80=99=
s mission statement: =E2=80=9C=E2=80=9D=E2=80=9D=E2=80=9D >https://www.free=
bsd.org/about.html What is FreeBSD? FreeBSD is an operating system for a va=
riety of >platforms which focuses on features, speed, and stability. It is =
derived from BSD, the version of >UNIX=C2=AE deve=E2=80=A6

And thats the problem, there is no word about security in this mission stat=
ement, but maybe it should be there in the actual word.

Just my 2 cents