Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:17:37 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i.e. vs. e.g.

--kA1LkgxZ0NN7Mz3A

All,

Apologies in advance for coming over all schoolmaster like, but I've
noticed a few instances where I believe that people are confusing the
terms "i.e." and "e.g.", and so here's a little reminder/summary:

	i.e. can be read as "that is to say".

	e.g. can be read as "for example".

For example, contrast@

	"I like monkeys, i.e. the hairy things with tails"

with

	"I like monkeys, e.g., white-faced capuchin and squirrel monkeys".

Also note that "e.g." is nearly always followed by a comma, whereas
"i.e." is not.

Thanks,

Ceri
--=20
It is not tinfoil, it is my new skin.  I am a robot.

--kA1LkgxZ0NN7Mz3A

--kA1LkgxZ0NN7Mz3A--