Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:32:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        stuart@bh90210.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dell I8000 + FreeBsd 4.3 + Newbie = HELP!

On 17-Jul-01 stuart@bh90210.net wrote:
>  Let me first declare my overall newbieness to FreeBSD, though I am a
>  system administrator of 15 years. I am conversant in AIX, Solaris,
>  Linux, HP-UX, etc. (but not FreeBSD)!?!?

I think you should search the lists.. There has been a bit of activity about
the i8k recently (I got one :)

>  I know the issues I had to surmount with Linux and the Dell I8K, so
>  rather than loose more hairs, I am going to ask for advice in advance.
>
>  a) PCMCIA issues?

None when you specify an IRQ for the pcic controller (kernel rebuild, or boot
-c)

>  b) How do I get XFree86 going (this I tryed, and well, I am still
>  asking you how!)?

Get X4 and use the X config floating around the web/on the lists (I can't mail
you mine ATM since my laptop is off)

>  c) Sound?

Add..
snd_maestro3_load="YES"

to /boot/loader.conf

>  d) CD-RW/DVD?

My CD drive works out of the box but apparently there are problems with teh DVD
drive (you have to set loader boot delay to 60 seconds).

>  f) Intel built in ethernet board, will it work?

Yes, it appears as fxp0

>  g) WinModem (ActionTec), will it work?

Mostly.. There is a shim to use the lucent linux binary only object.

>  Anything I may have overlooked?

APM..
It mostly works, I am currently investigating suspend to disk, suspend to ram
works with the caveat that the USB controller stops responding after a resume.

>  I noticed that FreeBSD has an "openboot prom" like lilo type program.
>  However, I like lilo, and would like to know if I can use both? Can I
>  use lilo, to point to that other boot loader? Are there instructions
>  for this?

I think lilo can boot the loader, but search the lists - someone surely has
asked this question before :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum