Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 07:51:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Joe Beiter <jwb@xioa.cosmic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: password portability

On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Joe Beiter wrote:

> I would like to migrate a couple of linux systems doing authentication (Cisco
> tacacs) over to FreeBSD 2.1. Does anyone know if there is any way I can port
> over a passwd file (specifically the encrypted passwords) from Linux to
> FreeBSD? My gut says "not in this quantum reality".

I've done almost the same thing transferring a passwd file from Linux to
a BSDI 1.1 system and it worked fine. You just have to be careful with
the system accounts that are at the top of the passwd file, i.e. manual
editting, but the encrypted passwords should work.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com