Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 01:36:52 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        anderson@centtech.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal hosts in email

At 9:39 PM +0200 2002/05/15, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

>  I know next-to-nothing about sendmail, but there is a
>  confRECEIVED_HEADER listed in the README file cited by Terry.

	Interesting.  According to the RELEASE_NOTES, that was added in
8.7.  Strange that I missed that....

>                                                                 One
>  could set that to a blank on all machines on the "inside" of the
>  firewall?

	But then, if you had mail problems inside the firewall, a very
important diagnostic tool would be taken away from you.

	Moreover, if you had a loop (user A forwards all mail to user B
who forwards all mail to user C who forwards all mail back to user
A), by defining this header to be null, you would never break the
mail loop and you would probably kill the mail system on a fairly
regular basis.  The more stuff you have behind the firewall (and the
more users), the more likely that this will be a problem, and the
more frequent this problem will be.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>