Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 11:44:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        tobez@plab.ku.dk (Anton Berezin)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, voland@plab.ku.dk
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor PPB/RGB Rev.C troubles

> Umhum, I see.  The question is, what are the details of that different
> programming?  :-(
>
> And please note that Meteor driver still reports 7116 chip (and my
> guess is that those PCI IDs are unique).

actually, they are assigned by the manufacturer, so one might decide to
reuse the same ID for multiple revisions of the same device so that the
driver kind-of-works for all of them.

similar thing happens with ISA PnP boards for what matters. OPTI931 and
OPTI933 have the same PnP ID though they have different features.
Crystal CS423x chips do the same.

> *at all*.  Though the law of big numbers suggests that they should
> work...  :-) Anyway, I already asked my supplier to find the drivers;

kind-of-work...

	cheers
	luigi