Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:45:01 +1030
From:      Ian West <ian@niw.com.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESS 1868 and DSP_BUFFSIZE

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 06:16:30AM -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
> It looks like the ESS 1868 is working OK now with the DSP_BUFFSIZE set
> to 8192.  Before, it wouldn't work unless I set this value to (65536 -
> 256), which was the original value, I believe.  So, why does the ESS
> work OK now with a buffer size of 8192?  And how is this buffersize an
> advantage over (65536 - 256)?
>
> Everything seems to be working great for the ESS 1868 now, but I was
> just wondering...

While it is much better than it was (sound happens, and the machine
doesn't reboot :-), I am still seeing a repeat of the last few seconds
of some audio with the ESS 1869 chipset. This seems to occur using
waveplay (.wav files) and au files (cat *.au > /dev/dsp). I can't pick
any pattern to it, although it is consistent on a per file basis.