Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:26:50 -0800
From:      Naydoe Maung <nyingelay@hotpop.com>
To:        Ding Lei <lei@dinglei.net>, Daniel Suh <daniel.suh@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation problem

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 08:11 am, Ding Lei wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> Thanks for your answer, but What files do I need to download before
> start the installation program, I mean the whole thing, not only two
> floppy image, since it can't connect to the internet itself currently.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> lei
>
> =D4=DA 2002-11-05 =B6=FE =B5=C4 21:53=A3=AC Daniel Suh =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA
>
> > Lei Ding wrote:
> > > Hi daniel,
> > >   Thanks for your answer. but I even don't have a running freebsd b=
ox.
> > > How could I make my own custom kernel then? thank you.
> >
> > Hi Ding,
> >
> > OK, you gotta install freeBSD first, then create your kernel. I was
> > under the strong impression that you have installed FBSD. Again, cons=
ult
> > handbook for how to install. Do not worry about your SiS 900 NIC for
> > now, just install. Kernel customization comes next, not first.
> >
> > UNIX is not like MicroSoft products. It takes more thinking and
> > knowledge to pull this through. Get your hands on some books first to
> > get yourself familiar with UNIX. I recommend "The Complete FreeBSD" b=
> > Greg Lehey. It is bit outdated but still serves as good guide for
> > freeBSD. If you don't know what you're doing, then this book is your
> > friend. If you want general UNIX knowledge, then get yourself a "UNIX
> > system administration handbook, 3rd edition" by Nemeth, Snyder, Seeba=
ss
> > and Hein.

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message

Try the mirrored ftp sites.  You'll have to bear some time if you have a =
slow=20
connection, but they work fine.  Here's the link to the ftp sites for the=
=20
FreeBSD latest release:
http://www.freebsdmirrors.org/FBSDsites.php3?showmirrordomains=3Ddo

Try ISOs since they take care of some minor problems.  You'll just need I=
SO=20
Disc 1 for installation.  The rest of the iso-discs are ports and other=20
stuff.  Burn the iso on a window box or anything, and it should be bootab=
le=20
without any tweaking.  =3D)