Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 14:58:17 -0400
From:      Dwight Tuinstra <tuinstra@clarkson.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: occasional reboots

Walter Campbell wrote:

> Do you occasionally get Bus Errors or Segmentation Faults, especially
> while compiling?
>
> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Sergey A. Ivanov wrote:
>
> > Hello stable!
> >
> >   My FBSD box sometimes rebooted "for no reason". No any useful
> > messages in logs. I have FBSD4-S cvsupped, builded and installed this
> > monday. Hov can i collect enought info about possible reasons?

Pardon the "me too", but ... me too.  With high frequency,
I get a spontaneous reboot when trying to "make buildworld"
after a fresh install of 4.0-RELEASE.  Subsequent buildworlds
dump core on either signal 10 or signal 11.  A plain "make"
will sometimes succeed, sometimes coredump with sig 10 or 11.
The coredumps seem to happen at random locations in the build.

This is with GENERIC or custom kernel, with or without UDMA
turned on in the BIOS (the disk is UDMA33-capable), with or
without go-fast BIOS options.  I built the custom kernel
with the -g config flag, but I don't know how to do post-
mortems on core dumps.  (I'll be glad to provide them to those
who can deciper them).

Happens in single and multi-user mode.  Happens even
immediately after a fresh minimalist install (no X, no ppp,
no mouse, no linux emulation, completely new filesystem, yanked
out the sound card and net card, leaving only the (IDE) modem).

I thought that upgrading to 4.0-STABLE might help, but after
cvsupping /usr/src, the same kind of errors occurred when
compiling.  So, no luck there.

Happens on two similarly configured systems:
K6-2 450MHz CPU, 64 or 128Mb Kingston PC-100 ValueRAM, FIC
PA-2013 motherboard.  One power supply is generic, the
other is PC Power and Cooling.  Award BIOS.  (Speaking of
BIOS, is there a FAQ anywhere for "My BIOS is from vendor XXXX.
How should I set the options for best stability[speed] under
FreeBSD?").

Any help is appreciated!

  --Dwight Tuinstra
    tuinstra@clarkson.edu