Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 16:04:39 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys wireless access point

Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> well, the default setting you get when booting up is an empty string, which
> from my experience has allowed me to connect to any network around i don't
> know if you actually have to set it to an empty string by hand or not...

     Well, the linksys docs say that an empty string won't work, and so
linksys may have done something strange ....

     Another thing to try is to simplify things and just use a static
IP, to eliminate some possible failure points (like DHCP).  That's what
I did when I was setting up my Buffalo Tech. access point.  I know you
said you tried doing this, but you did use IP addresses on the same
subnet, right?  Is the linksys access point set up for DHCP or static
IP?  What was the IP address of the access point?  If DHCP, is the
linksys DHCP server disabled?  Could you ping the access point (using
numeric IP addresses)?  Which, if any, of the LEDs on the Wavelan PCMCIA
card were lit?

[ I just took a look at the BEFW11S4 manual, and it's a lot like my
  linksys BEFSR11 firewall.  It has a fair number of configuration
  options (not "very few").  As you said that it "makes some kind of
  contact", this makes me think that something else might be wrong.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com