Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 01:38:41 +0200 (EET)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

At 15:05 12.1.1997 -0800, Leonard Chua wrote:
>Does anyone out there have or know of a list of reliable modems?
>By reliable, I mean modems which have the least compatibility problems,
>especially when negotiating with other vendors' modems. My understanding
>(which is probably wrong, so feel free to correct me, thanks) is that
>even tough a vendor claims to support standard (e.g V42bis), it may not
>always work with another vendor's 'same' standard (i.e. V42bis again).
>Probably one (or both) of them is only supporting a subset of the standard.

My experience for almost a decade tells me that US Robotics still
manufactures one of the best modems in the world. Don't fall on the cheap
Sportster series though if reliability and compability are one of your
highest selection criteria, get the Courier stuff instead. (they are
upgradeable also by flashrom upgrade)

Pete