Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:38:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

> Does anyone out there have or know of a list of reliable modems?
> By reliable, I mean modems which have the least compatibility problems,
> especially when negotiating with other vendors' modems. My understanding
> (which is probably wrong, so feel free to correct me, thanks) is that
> even tough a vendor claims to support standard (e.g V42bis), it may not
> always work with another vendor's 'same' standard (i.e. V42bis again).
> Probably one (or both) of them is only supporting a subset of the standard.
>
> On a side note, M$N claims to have modems that are _guaranteed_ to work
> with any modem in the market. Applause or Flame'em?

The ones we use are the USR Curiors (sp).  Those are the best, true they
cost about 250-300 each, but they do it all.  I would stay away from the
asends and some of the rack units.  But if you think of cost of 30 modems
per a PM2e and the cost of the wireing and a PM2e it is better to get
a PM3.  But for a good analog bank, USR curiors are the way to go.

Stefan

Stefan Molnar                  Team Exis.Net
stefan@exis.net                   Member EFF
Slightly Silly                     Team OS/2
east-coast-ambassador@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
"She turned me into a Newt!  A Newt?
I got better."     -Monty Python