Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:58:18 +0100
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [bsd.java.mk 2.0] new release available

Hi all!

I made some improvement to bsd.java.mk 2.0 last night.

First of all, bsd.java.mk 2.0 development release now comes with a
Makefile to help testers. Just untar the archive, then use make install
to replace your existing bsd.java.mk by a symbolic to bsd.java.mk from
the current directory. Your original bsd.java.mk file is not lost in the
process but rather moved to /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk.original. Use make
deinstall to uninstall bsd.java.mk 2.0.

I think we should discuss the JRE/JDK issue. Does bsd.java.mk 2.0 have
to support JREs in the first release ? Existing version of bsd.java.mk
does not support it neither so maybe we could defer this to a later
release. As 2.0 is backward compatible (testers please tell me if I'm
wrong here) with existing version, I think there is no reason why we
should not commit it as-is. And now that FreeBSD 5.2 has been released,
we have got quite some time to fix bsd.java.mk before the next FreeBSD
release.

BTW, it's not in the CHANGES but bsd.java.mk 2.0 has been updated so it
handles the current version of each JDK in the ports tree.

As usual, you may find all relevant information and download the latest
release at the following URL:
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/freebsd/bsd.java.mk-2.0.html

If you just want to download the latest release, just follow this link:
http://www.esil.univ-mrs.fr/~hquiroz/bsd.java.mk-2.0-dev-20040122.tgz

Regards,

Herve

CHANGES (2004-01-21):
  - Changed the name of variables to match the following pattern: <OS>_<VENDOR>_[JDK|JRE]_<VERSION_MAJOR>_<VERSION_MINOR>
  - A bit of cleaning before commit
  - Better sorting of Java ports possible/installed (hopefuly the netive ones and the highest version number ones will get chosen first)
  - New file: README (mostly a link to web documentation)
  - New file: Makefile (to install/deinstall bsd.java.mk 2.0 and also build a snapshot for release purposes)

TODO:
 - Implement a sorting mechanism for JDK port selection (user or maintainer defined?)
 - Handle JDK/JRE
 - Decide definitively the name/keyword for JDK vendors (and then rename JDK ports in bsd.java.mk)
 - Decide if we get rid of the JAVA_HOME overide stuff (Herve: I'm for removing it as it's not safe IMHO)
 - Handle the case where no JDK port is suitable (whenever the port is broken)