Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2022 07:58:09 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Megan Taylor <megan_loves_jesus@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How To Install Windows From Free BSD?

On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:18:54 +0000
Megan Taylor <megan_loves_jesus@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> you may remember when free bsd was installed on my computer. i have a hp
> beats laptop.

	Assuming *once* that you're not trolling. If you have FreeBSD on
your computer someone went to some trouble to put it there, FreeBSD does
not magically "install itself over windows" it requires moderately skilled
work to achieve that - your best source of help is that person. If they did
it to your computer without your permission you may want to complain to
them.

> i couldn't get back windows yet, but i had to call a "unix expert" to get
> a menu and browser and that stuff. i still fucking hate free bsd and fire
> fox. i miss windows and internet explorer.

	That "unix expert" can probably help you install Windows. Failing
that https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/ will make you into a "unix
expert" and unleash the power you now have at your fingertips.

> is there a way to install windows from free bsd? like how free bsd could
> install itself over windows?

	That did not happen - installing FreeBSD requires work. Windows is
commercial software, Microsoft want paying for it.

> i dont own any usb sticks.

	They're very cheap.

> the windows download page is just a file that free bsd cant open. it
> seems to be an "ISO" file that can be used to create a cd rom, but i
> don't know how to create one.

	That is a little fiddly - but there are guides online and some gui
applications you can install that probably make it easy but I've never tried
them.

> all the windows on ebay or amazon costs $100. i cant afford that.

	The bulk of that is for the license key - you can buy recovery
discs for much less but you'll need your original activation key which
might be printed on the bottom of the laptop.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>