Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:24:06 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Brock Kreiser" <root63@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall

In message <001101c15211$09dc51c0$0500a8c0@brockspc>, "Brock Kreiser"
writes:
> Hey all,
>
>  Let me start by saying im a new to fbsd but im learning fast:) im run =
> 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #2: Tue Oct  9 09:44:05 EDT 2001 and want =
> to no is how to configure this box to be a firewall with a way to have a =
> ftp routed to another machine running win 2k on an internal network... =
> Is there any good docs on this kind of setup? Any kind of help in the =
> right direction would be greatly appreciated...

FreeBSD comes with two firewalls, IPFW and IP Filter.  Take a look at
the ipf(1), ipnat(1), ipfw(8), and natd(8) man pages.

Having said all that, you will have to seriously open your firewall in
order to make FTP work properly through your firewall.  Even if you
restrict your FTP clients to using PORT (active) FTP, people can still
use an FTP bounce to map or even gain access to other hosts and ports
behind the firewall through your FTP server.  These are two of the
reasons I've been an advocate (on various mailing lists) of deprecating
the FTP protocol.  If you absolutely have to use the FTP protocol, put
the FTP server on an external network or if you cannot do that on your
DMZ.  (I haven't even begun to talk about the various FTP server
software vulnerabilities).

If you still need to put an FTP server behind your firewall, you might
be able to perform NAT using IP Filter's FTP proxy on the internal
interface of your firewall.  I haven't tried this, so I don't know
whether it would work.  Search the IP Filter mailing list archives at
false.net for more info.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC