Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 10:18:31 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file://localhost/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Studded wrote:
>
> > "good" in this context. The problem in this context (as we've discussed
> > before) is that there are different ways to learn and grasp concepts.
> > The problem with a lot of unix documentation (and especially man pages)
> > is that it's written by people who are extremely left-brain oriented and
> > therefore have a difficult time presenting information in a way that
> > helps non-techie's grasp the concepts.
>
> How does this manifest itself such that manpages are easy to
> learn from for left-brain-orientated people and difficult for
> others?

	People who are left brain dominant tend to write things in a left brain
dominant way. :)  I could go into more details about learning styles and
such if you like, but my basic point is that people tend to write
documentation about a project the same way they think about the project.
Combine that with the fact that most programmers are terrible at writing
prose and we can end up in a dire situation. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet