Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:42:32 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Spam from Windriver - how should I react?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 08:48:41PM -0400, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> If it's the same message I received then it is not spam. I was very
> worried about not having heard of my FreeBSD CDs and their email just
> informed me that they were in fact having problems with their
> databases and that they appreciate my patience.

If you supply your email address to an organisation, don't be surprised
if they, or their heirs, use it to send you information which they think
you ought to have.

I too found this email useful, and wouldn't have objected if I had not.

It reminded me that I'd heard nothing about my 4.3 FreeBSD CD
subscription, and that JKH had mentioned some problems with CD
distribution.  An email to the contact address unstuck things for me.  I
received an email dispatch notice soon afterwards.

Possibly my views about UCE are coloured by my having had the same email
address for many years, being a regular usenet poster and the moderator
of a group with adverts in its name (8-(.  I get a _lot_ of unwanted /
unexpected email, and have come to live with it.  Junkfilter helps to
keep me sane.

--
Adrian Wontroba